Captain John's Custom Photos & Framing

Michigan Lighthouses - Pointe Aux Barques Light, Tip of the Thumb along Lake Huron

Click on a picture to view the enlarged image

Color Photograph
Color Photograph
Accented Print

The lighthouse at Pointe Aux Barques ("point of the little boats") was originally constructed in 1848 to mark the turning point from Lake Huron into Saginaw Bay, and to warn mariners of the shallow regions near the coast. After suffering severe structural damage, it was rebuilt in 1857. In 1958 the light was automated and the Coast Guard sold the land and the keeper's house to Huron County. The light tower and dwelling became part of the Huron City Museum, a seven-acre parcell of land maintained as a park . The lighthouse site is now home to two museums, the historical memories of the light and the maritime shipwreck preserve.

Go back to the Michigan Lighthouses index page