Captain John's Custom Photos & Framing

Michigan Lighthouses - Grand Traverse Light, Leelanau Pennisula Michigan

Click on a picture to view the enlarged image

Color Photograph
Color Photograph
Color Photograph

The Grand Traverse Lighthouse is located at the northern tip of the Leelanau Peninsula, 9 miles above Northport in the Leelanau State Park. The lighthouse was built in 1858 at its present location at the northern end of Cathead Bay. In 1972, the U.S. Coast Guard erected an automated light tower and closed the lighthouse.

That might have been the end of the Grand Traverse Lighthouse were it not for the actions of a group of dedicated volunteers. On Memorial Day of 1987 the doors of the lighhouse were the public by the Grand Traverse Lighthouse Foundation. The restored lighthouse is an opportunity to walk into history, with rooms and the steam whistle building redone in the furnishings of the period with many informative displays--perfect for lighthouse lovers young and old. The high point of the tour is a chance to stand at the top of the tower and gaze over the northern end of the Manitou Passage. On a clear day, one can see North and South Manitou and Fox Islands, Charlevoix and even Beaver Island.

Go back to the Michigan Lighthouses index page