Captain John's Custom Photos & Framing

Michigan Lighthouses - Port Sanilac Light - Port Sanilac, Michigan

Click on a picture to view the enlarged image

Color Photograph
Color Photograph
Color Photograph

In 1884, Congress appropriated $20,000 for the construction of this coastal light in a marshy area on the western shore of Lake Huron. Built in 1886, the octagonal brick tower stands 59 feet tall creating a focal plane 69 feet above the mean low water level of Lake Huron. It has a fourth degree Fresnel Lens manufactured by Barbier and Fenestre of Paris.

Originally the Port Sanilac Light burnt kerosene, but was electrified in 1924. The attached residence is now private, but the US Coast Guard still maintains the active light, which can be seen 16 miles at lake level.

Go back to the Michigan Lighthouses index page