Captain John's Custom Photos & Framing

Lighthouses - Little Sable Point Light, South of Pentwater Michigan

Click on a picture to view the enlarged image

Color Photograph
Color Photograph
Color Photograph

Construction of the 107-foot tall round red brick tower was completed in the spring of 1874. The tower is topped with a brick watch room surrounded by a cast iron walkway supported by cast iron supports. The lantern room is 10-sided and covered with a copper roof. When the light was automated in 1954, the keeper's dwelling was demolished by Coast Guard.

The lantern room contains a Third-Order Fresnel lens, manufactured by Sautter & Co. of Paris. The lower portion consists of 8 fixed panels, the upper portion 10 rotating panels.

Located on Little Sable Point (Lake Michigan) in Silver Lake State Park, near Mears, Michigan. The lighthouse is part of a Michigan State Park, and an entrance fee is required. Part of the fee helps preserve the lighthouse.

When built in 1874 the lighthouse tower at Little Sable Point was almost a twin of it's sister at Big Sable Point near Ludington. Both lighthouses stood 107 feet tall, both were constructed of brick, and both had a third-order Fresnel lens. Eventually the Big Sable Point tower deteriorated and was covered with steel plates, but the tower at Little Sable Point still looks much as it did 120 years ago.

One of the prettiest towers on the lakes, its red-brick walls offer a handsome contrast to the sand dunes and the blue water of the lake beyond. It is an active aid to navigating the coastal waters of Lake Michigan.

Go back to the Michigan Lighthouses index page