Captain John's Custom Photos & Framing

South Carolina Lighthouses - Haig Point Lighthouse on Dafuskie Island

Click on a picture to view the enlarged image

Color Photograph
Color Photograph
Color Photograph
Color Photograph
Color Photograph
Color Photograph

Originally completed in 1872, this Victorian stlye structure was equipped with a fifth order Fresnel lens. This light was actually used as a range light to work in conjunction with a smaller offshore beacon that guided vessels through the shifting shoals of the Inter-coastal Waterway.

The light and area are named for the wealthy plantation owner George Haig. In 1925, the lighthouse and its surrounding area were sold and turned into a hunting retreat for the elite. After a sucession of owners, the lighthouse structure deteriorated rapidly. Finally, the lighthouse was purchased by the International Paper Corporation.

Restoration of this lighthouse began in 1984; it was re-lit as a private navigational aid in 1987. The lighthouse is situated on a private and exclusive portion of Dafuskie Island. Access by the public is prohibited.

The approximate height of the focal plane is 70 feet.

Go back to the Carolina Lighthouse index page

Hunting Island Lighthouse, Hunting Island South Carolina

Harbor Town Lighthouse, Hilton Head Island South Carolina