Captain John's Custom Photos & Framing

North Carolina Lighthouses - Bodie Island Lighthouse


Click on a picture to view the enlarged image


Color Photograph
#binc001
Color Photograph
#binc002
Color Photograph
#binc003
Color Photograph
#binc004
Color Photograph
#binc005
Color Photograph
#binc006
Color Photograph
#binc007
Color Photograph
#binc008
Color Photograph
#binc009

Located about twenty miles north of Cape Hatteras Light, it is part of a string of three lights, which includes Currituck Light to the north, that enable a southbound navigator to round Hatteras without incident. Itís black stripes run in a horizontal direction in comparison to Hatterasís barbershops.

The first light was built in 1847. A second light was completed and then destroyed by the Confederates as they vacated the Outer Banks. This was the fate of many lighthouses in the South at the time and was meant to deny Union soldiers any benefit in material or location. The present light was finished and lighted in 1872. Its location, on Bodie Island, was due to the unavailability and the cost of land on the coast. Bodie Island is not an island anymore. Actually, it is a peninsula attached to Nags Head / Kitty Hawk / Kill Devil Hills and ultimately Virginia Beach. The double keepers house is now a museum and is open to the public.

The light houses a first-order lens approximately 156 feet in height. Depending on visibility, it can be seen up to nineteen miles off shore. This is the middle light of the Outer Banks three. It has been automated and is now a part of Cape Hatteras National Sea Shore.


Go back to the North Carolina Lighthouse index page

Currituck Lighthouse - Corolla, North Carolina

Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, North Carolina